Therapeutic Reflexology Treatments
Reflexology is categorised as a complimentary therapy and focuses on the hands and feet, providing deep relaxation. The principle of reflexology is that specific areas on the hands and feet that correspond to different organs and systems of the body, acting as reflex points.
By focusing stimulation on certain reflex points and applying gentle pressure using specific thumb and finger techniques, it can prompt the body to correct itself, restoring and maintain the balance of its natural equilibrium. Reflexology does not diagnose or claim to cure but it can relive a wide range of disorders and is suitable for all ages. Rexlogology however should never be used as an alternative to seeking medical advice.
Some benefits of reflexology include:
- Stress reduction and promoting deep relaxation
- Improvement of circulation of the blood and lymph
- Stimulation of the immune system
- Elimination of toxins
- Reduction in pain
- Improvement of sleeping patterns
In line with the above benefits, reflexology can be particularly beneficial for those who are struggling with:
- Stress related conditions
- Back Pain
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Foot Ailments
These are just a few examples of what reflexology can help you with. Reflexology can be a great solution for those of you looking for alternative and holistic methods for relief from your ailment.
When should I avoid this type of treatment?
- If you are already undergoing conventional medical treatment it is always advisable to consult your doctor and obtain their advice before receiving reflexology treatment.
- If you are pregnant in your first trimester you should also avoid this treatment during this time. Again it is advisable to always consult your doctor during the pregnancy before undertaking any complementary therapies.
You should also avoid therapy if:
- You have an infectious condition affecting the feet, legs or ankles ie Ringworm or Athlete's Foot
- You have any other infectious or contagious condition
- You have any undiagnosed lumps, bumps or swellings in the treatment area
- You have had food poisoning or stomach upset in the 48 hrs prior to the session